DNDi Scientific Journalism Workshop 2018 for health/science journalists (Fully Funded to Kampala, Uganda)
Application Deadline: 17 August 2018.
DNDi would like to invite health/science journalists from Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe to submit their applications for a media workshop to be held on 1st – 4thOctober 2018 in Kampala, Uganda.
This is a three-day, all-expense paid media workshop to help reporters and editors from East, Central, and Southern Africa to better understand neglected diseases in the region and grasp the science behind efforts to develop drugs for these diseases. The workshop will allow participants to:
- Learn more about science journalism and sharpen their skills
- Learn more about research and development (R&D) in Africa and better grasp the ins and outs of clinical trials/research
- Broaden their knowledge of neglected tropical diseases, including emerging threats such as antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Build a network of valued sources in clinical research in the region.
The sessions will include both discussion and practical sessions to expand journalists’ knowledge of neglected disease R&D. The workshop will take place during the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) Stakeholder Meeting in Kampala, Uganda, which will feature researchers and clinicians from a number of countries in the region working on sleeping sickness, leishmaniasis, filarial diseases (river blindness), mycetoma, paediatric HIV, AMR, and other neglected diseases
- Professional Science/health Journalists working in broadcast, print, and online media may apply.
- Science/health journalists working in the following countries are eligible.
- South Sudan
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- South Africa
- Applicants can be either full-time journalists or freelancers.
- Applicants must demonstrate a minimum of four years of professional experience of covering health and science.
- Proven experience or personal motivation for reporting on science and R&D for neglected diseases.
- Journalists working in both English and French media are welcome to apply since we will have English – French translation during the workshop.
- The following categories of journalists can apply:
- All interested journalists may apply using the online application form no later than 17 August 2018. Please make sure that you provide the following information while submitting the form:
- A written statement in fewer than 500 words, indicating the reason for applying and why you should be considered in either English or French.
- Two samples of (or links to) recently completed work
- A current updated resume
- Applicants should have a valid passport (if required) to enable them travel to Uganda
- All staff reporters must have permission from the editor(s) to attend the workshop
For More Information: